A classic taste of the Scottish Highlands - rich and aromatic honey.
A strong Scottish heather honey straight from the hives, simply filtered through muslin cloth and jarred right away without any processing. Choose from 2 sizes of jar - 400g or 1kg.
Made from an exclusive apiary at the Gleneagles Hotel, Falkland Estate and at the Borders, it is rich in taste and very aromatic.
Heather honey has an unusual texture due to its high thixotropic characteristic (meaning it turns into gel when standing still) - stirring the honey transforms its texture to a liquid syrup for easy pouring, just like Manuka honey.
The viscosity of heather honey makes the extraction of the honey from the comb very difficult. That’s why, this honey is extracted by pressure (instead of centrifugation), a labour-intensive process.
The strong unique flavour and consistency of heather honey makes delicious dishes. It amazing with Greek yogurt or with ice-creams and pancakes. It gives coffee a strong smoky taste and can even pair with strong cheese.
Also available in cut comb - cut from frames straight from the hive - click here.
• Anti-inflammatory properties and is very high in antimicrobial activity.
• Boosts immunity and helps naturally sooth a sore throat - effective for treating infections
RULES FOR USING HONEY IN BAKING
- Honey is very sweet: With the amount to one glass of sugar in the recipe, use the same amount of honey. At the amount of the glass, replace each glass of sugar with 2/3 to 3/4 glass of honey.
- Honey contains water: Using more than one glass of honey instead of sugar, reduce 1/4 cup of liquid for one glass of honey.
- Honey is browning faster: Lower the baking temperature by 5 degrees and check the browning level every 10-15 minutes.
- Honey is slightly sour: For baking, add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to a glass of honey (if it is not in the recipe). This will reduce acidity and ensure good dough rise.
- The taste of honey: Honey-flavoured light does not significantly affect the taste of baking, but stronger varieties, such as buckwheat honey, can give their specific flavour and aroma.
About Edinburgh Honey Co.
They are Edinburgh based beekeepers and honey merchants, specialising in rare, high-quality honey, hand-packed with recycled materials only.
For 60 years, this independent, family-run business has offered nothing but the highest quality honey, infused with the story of the people who made it. This passion for honey grew stronger with each year and now the 3rd generation of beekeeping traditions is bringing you the finest Polish honey and bee pollen.
All of their honey is being sourced in a sustainable and responsible way straight from the hives, both from their own apiaries in Perthshire, Scotland and in Poland. The honey you buy is hand-packed with recycled materials, and it is 100% plastic free, delivered in low emission vehicles. Their dedication to recycling and ecology is deeply rooted in company values and work ethos.
Honey has a long shelf life at room temperature without using any preservatives (approx 2 years) - so this case is perfect for storing.
Shipping & Returns:
This product is dispatched by Edinburgh Honey Co.
Please note this product can only be delivered to UK addresses. Please contact email@example.com if you have a request to ship to all other countries.
Please note that a returns slip will be provided.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.