Great Taste Award winner. Considered better than Manuka and with dark, strong flavour. Known also as a hangover honey.
Delicious buckwheat honey, straight from the hives, simply filtered through muslin cloth and jarred right away without any processing from Poland. Choose from 2 sizes of jar - 400g or 1kg.
Honeybees that collect and process the nectar of buckwheat flowers create a dark honey with full, robust flavour. Buckwheat Honey can range in colour from coppery yellow to purple or nearly black. The average jar is dark amber with a reddish tint when held to the light. Compared with lighter-coloured varieties, buckwheat honey isn’t as sweet and tastes similar to molasses.
Buckwheat honey is high in mineral content and antioxidant compounds. The strong flavour of Buckwheat honey is perfect when you need a sweetener with some backbone to stand up to other bold flavours. This type of honey is excellent for marinating poultry, pork or beef and for making barbecue sauces or gingerbread.
Also, it stands up well to strong cheeses and can also be an excellent sugar substitute in coffee and tea.
• Contains higher concentrations of macronutrients, trace elements and iron than other honey.
• Boosts immunity and helps naturally sooth a sore throat.
• Contains a low GI index of 32, so it doesn't give sugar rushes.
RULES FOR USING HONEY IN BAKING
- Honey is very sweet: With the amount to one glass of sugar in the recipe, use the same amount of honey. At the amount of the glass, replace each glass of sugar with 2/3 to 3/4 glass of honey.
- Honey contains water: Using more than one glass of honey instead of sugar, reduce 1/4 cup of liquid for one glass of honey.
- Honey is browning faster: Lower the baking temperature by 5 degrees and check the browning level every 10-15 minutes.
- Honey is slightly sour: For baking, add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to a glass of honey (if it is not in the recipe). This will reduce acidity and ensure good dough rise.
- The taste of honey: Honey-flavoured light does not significantly affect the taste of baking, but stronger varieties, such as buckwheat honey, can give their specific flavour and aroma.
About Edinburgh Honey Co.
They are Edinburgh based beekeepers and honey merchants, specialising in rare, high-quality honey, hand-packed with recycled materials only.
For 60 years, this independent, family-run business has offered nothing but the highest quality honey, infused with the story of the people who made it. This passion for honey grew stronger with each year and now the 3rd generation of beekeeping traditions is bringing you the finest Polish honey and bee pollen.
All of their honey is being sourced in a sustainable and responsible way straight from the hives both from their own apiaries in Perthshire, Scotland and in Poland. The honey you buy is hand-packed with recycled materials, and it is 100% plastic free, delivered in low emission vehicles. Their dedication to recycling and ecology is deeply rooted in company values and work ethos.
Honey has a long shelf life at room temperature without using any preservatives (approx 2 years) - so this case is perfect for storing.
Shipping & Returns:
This product is dispatched by Edinburgh Honey Co.
Please note this product can only be delivered to UK addresses. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a request to ship to all other countries.
Please note that a returns slip will be provided.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.